- Cover/Multiple Characters: B&W $300-400, Color $400-$500
- Full Page (Interior)/Full Body: B&W $200-300, Color $300-$400
- Half Page/Half Body: B&W $100-$200, Color $200-300
- Quarter Page/Portrait: B&W $50-$100, Color $100-$200
- Add Background to Character Art: B&W $50-100, Color $100-$200
- Portrait Sketch/Concept: $25-100 (B&W only)
Limited Use Stock License: 40% of the equivalent commission price
Royalty split: Negotiable royalty splits in-lieu-of or in-addition-to a flat commission rate for published products. Contact me to discuss details and options for royalty splits.
Community Projects/Anthologies: Commission rate, stock license, and/or royalty split to be agreed upon at start of project.
Price ranges are based on commission complexity, audience size, and a sliding scale for independent creators versus large established businesses. In most cases, commissions for personal use start at the bottom of the scale (examples of personal use: art used in home games, printing for display in a private residence, and using as a social media avatar on a personal account).
Graphic Art and Design Rates*
- $75/hr, 2 hour minimum, total estimated hours to be agreed upon at start of project.
- Logos, icons, and other graphic art intended for use as a branding element has a base price of $500 for single-person small businesses and increases from there based size and reach of the business.
Rights & Licensing
- Clients must sign a contract agreeing to the payment and license terms of any commissioned work.
- Original designs and illustrations, including sketches and any other preliminary material, and all copyrights therein, remains the property of the Artist unless purchased by a payment of a separate fee.
- Any grant of rights is conditional upon receipt of full payment. Upon receipt of full payment, the Artist shall deliver digital files necessary to enable Client’s usage rights granted in their contract.
- The Artist retains the rights to display all work created for the commission, including preliminary materials and final art, in their portfolios, including in print and online, and to submit such work to art and design periodicals and competitions.
Credit to the Artist
- In contexts where credit to the Artist is appropriate, the Client shall credit the Artist as: “J.N. Butler”
- In contexts where a link to the Artist’s work is appropriate, the Client shall link to: “https://jnbutler.art”
- In contexts where a link to the Artist’s social media is appropriate, the Client shall link to: @jnbutlerart
- The pronouns they, them, and theirs will be used when making reference to the Artist in any medium.
*All prices are consistent with, or in some cases well under, the recommended rates of the Graphic Artists Guild.